what Operating Systems are you running

• What operating systems are you running? (you can pick more then one) 0

1. Windows XP (0) 0%
    2. Windows Mel or ealer (0) 0%
    3. Linux (0) 0%
    4. Mac os (0) 0%
    5. other (0) 0%

Does any one operate Linix here apart from me?

Ich bin ein englischer Muttersprachler. Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Verwendung von. Google Übersetzer. Ich habe hier irgendwo ein deutsches Buch.

• Zitat

Originally posted by Mafriki
    XP Pro on both desktop computers.

But when Vista arrives who knows?

Not when, but if. I think Windows Vista has just hit a brick wall.

I'm using Mac OS, and quite frankly, that's all I will use. Years and years of Windows and DOS gave this poor lion many, many headaches.

• Isn't Vista sort of trying to be MacOS anyway? (OSx or something?) Or is that just the how UI looks?

From the few reviews of people running the betas I've seen I've heard some decent comments, but as with any recent Windows product it'll never be a truly astounding success.

I'd never go to Mac as I like PCs (that's just me). I'd not go to Linux because I'm too lazy to learn it (I'm aware that most Linux users say that's not a valid excuse because Linux is so handy when you get in to it :P) and every package I've ever tried always seems to be missing something.

• I'm a Windows XP user, but my webserver runs Windows 2000. People who are into webserving probably are wondering why I'm not using Linux on it, but to be honest, like Mafriki, I can't really be bothered to learn it. I know Windows, and it works.

As for Macs, the big thing for me is the relatively large expenditure to go for one that has useful capabilities. I might love the OS, but I might really not like it at all, in which case I'd have wasted a grand or so.

• Zitat

Originally posted by Mafriki
    Isn't Vista sort of trying to be MacOS anyway? (OSx or something?) Or is that just the how UI looks?

From the few reviews of people running the betas I've seen I've heard some decent comments, but as with any recent Windows product it'll never be a truly astounding success.

Windows Vista seems good enough, but people really hate the GUI.

Zitat

I'd never go to Mac as I like PCs (that's just me). I'd not go to Linux because I'm too lazy to learn it (I'm aware that most Linux users say that's not a valid excuse because Linux is so handy when you get in to it :P) and every package I've ever tried always seems to be missing something.

Well, Microsoft has your billfold in their hands, then. I've worked on PCs for years, so the first thought in my mind is, "does their system meet my needs?" Time and again, it's "No." It has nothing to do with whether or not I like the system. And the number one reason why I don't use Windows is because of security.

And for someone who uses Windows just because they like it is like saying you like Coke over Pepsi. For me, I just like something to keep my mouth wet every once in a while. And that would make Linux like Gatorade. It's complex, but good for your system. ;)

Mac OS X is one operating system that I've truly admired over the years since becoming a beta user back in 1999. You can work with it in a way so tha you can choose to be as complicated as you want, or as easy as you want. Now with the Intel-based Macintoshes out there, I can run all 3 well-known operating systems on the same machine, Mac, Windows, and Linux. But Mac seems to be able to do everything I need it to do, do my database, word processing, spreadsheets, business presentations, make movies, make and sort music, digital photography, and professional tools all on one operating system. Windows is great because it can do those things, too, but doesn't offer the security I need, and many multimedia programmes don't function as well as they could. Linux can do just about everything, but as you said, it takes a lot of knowhow to get it all done. So, Mac is my choice.

• The GUI can be fixed/changed I'd imagine easily enough you'd have thought though?

M$ have my billfold to the extent that Pro came with my mate's rig (this one) more or less free. Now I just use this proper version on any PC :)

The security holes can be patched up using good security programs and not using M$ programs. I've NEVER been hit hard except when WinME made it's OWN virus. So in general I survive.

I've actually never touched a "new" Mac. I don't actually know anyone with one...
    Maybe if I ever got my hands on one without going out of my way to give it a whirl I may be a convert, but yet, alas, no...

• Yeah, the GUI can be changed. Come to think of it, I never liked the "Fisher-Price" interface of Windows XP, so I turned off the GUI services. Amazing what kind of speed you get by doing that.

Windows Me.... let's not go there... *shudders*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!