Beiträge von Timwi

Hi Petit Lion!

Have I ever told that I thought you were male because 'Petit Lion' is the male form in French? Maybe other people think similar. Even in English 'Lion' refers to the males, whereas the females have the extra word 'Lioness'. I'm not sure what lioness is in French, but I think it's Lionne or something, so the female form would be Petite Lionne.

Nochmal zum Mitschreiben: es geht mir nicht um die Größe, sondern um die Ladezeit! Selbst bei 1 byte
    aucht man Zeit für die Verbindung zum Server.

Davon abgesehen ist dein Sig-Bild <b>60 KB</b> groß, und dein Charpic nochmal <b>25.5 KB</b>. Und du bist nicht der einzige. Ich weiß nicht, wo deine Phantasie mit den 18 KB herkommt. Außerdem mag die Uni Bremen für dich vielleicht vor der Haustür stehen, das ist aber nicht zwingend für jeden der Fall. Vielleicht ist dir au&szlig;erdem auch entgangen, da&szlig; nicht jeder T1 hat. Selbst eine 18 kb-Grafik (wenn das stimmen würde) würde bei ISDN ungefähr drei Sekunden dauern. Mute dir das mal zu, bei -zig Grafiken auf jeder Seite!

<i>Edited by: Sarnyalo at: 10/5/00 9:46:57 am</i>

Nach etwas längerer Zeit komme ich jetzt mal wieder in dieses Forum zurück...

Und ich muß feststellen, daß ich jetzt noch enttäuschter als vorher. Wißt ihr, warum ich in den Ferien nicht hier war? Weil mir das Forum zu langsam war. Leute, Charpics sind ja schön und gut, aber eigentlich war es so gedacht, daß sie maximal 100x100 Pixel groß sein sollten - und damit meine ich die <u>echte</u> Datei (es geht mir um die Ladezeit, nicht darum wie's aussieht).

Ich habe ja auch nichts dagegen, wenn Leute Informationen über sich (E-Mail-Adresse, ICQ-Nummer etc.) veröffentlichen wollen, aber sowas gehört eigentlich in ein Profil oder sowas, warum muß man es unter jedes einzelne Posting setzen? Und das jetzt auch noch als Riesen-Grafik???

Ihr habt es geschafft, daß es mir selbst mit T1 schon zu langsam ist. Ich gehe mal nicht davon aus, daß ich der einzige bin, der so denkt.

<i></i>

You are into geography? Heh... that's where I have to give up. I'm absolutely useless at geography, and so I also can't tell you where Swabish is spoken (it's not Hanover or Hamburg though). I only know what it sounds like. Another dialect I would discourage is Sächsisch (which is spoken in Sachsen; far far from Essen *g*).

<I>If I want extra practice, I could probably use RealPlayer and tune into a German radio station.</I>
    Hey, that is a
    illiant idea!

<I>In the Romance languages, doesn't the pronoun get stuck at the end of the verb?</I>
    Not in French. In Italian (and I think in Spanish too) <i>personal</I> pronouns are stuck to the end of the verb - <i>possessive</I> pronouns and <i>indefinite</I> pronouns aren't. However languages like Hungarian and Finnish (or other languages that fall under the category that's called "agglutinating languages") stick almost anything to the end of words. Possessive and indefinite pronouns get stuck to the end of the noun; prepositions and most conjunctions get stuck to the end of whatever they refer to. They don't have an indefinite article in Hungarian, nor does "to be" have a present tense (they just leave it out)... I'm quite surprised the definite article is a lone word.

The accent marks in French make it a "different letter", just like ö is a letter different from o in German.
    This French letteris pronounced like this in German<B>e</B><B>e</B> at the end of a word<B>é</B>long <B>e</B> as in <b>E</b>hre<B>è and ê</B>long <b>ä</B>

Germans generally do consider cartoons to be made for children. I'm sure so do the French. The only countries I know who <b>definitely</b> don't associate cartoons with children is the Japanese. And many Germans don't know that, which often results in a number of Japanese cartoons with some adult contents to be shown in German TV between actual children's cartoons, so it becomes difficult to tell the difference.

<i></i>

Danke, wenigstens einige, die meiner Meinung sind...

Die oben gepostete Übersetzung für "Endless Night" ist wirklich gut. Allerdings passt sie nicht genau in die Melodie hinein, deshalb müsste ich hören, wie der Übersetzer sich die veränderte Melodie vorstellt. Man kann Melodien sehr gut an zusätzliche oder fehlende Silben anpassen, aber das kann genauso gut auch ins Auge gehen.

Mir ist aufgefallen, dass manche Übersetzer mehr Wert darauf legen, die Silben exakt in den Rhythmus zu kriegen, wohingegen andere lieber die Melodie ein bisschen verändern, aber dafür eine exaktere Übersetzung liefern.

Das Obige gehört eher in die letztere Kategorie; Seid bereit und Ich Will Jetzt Gleich König Sein eher in die erstere. Ich bevorzuge aber keine davon. Wenn ich selbst Lieder übersetze, tendiere ich mehr zum ersteren Stil, aber manchmal habe ich auch nichts dagegen, eine passende Silbe einzufügen oder eine wegzulassen.

<i></i>

<I>is because teachers DO NOT care about how the students pronunce words.</i>
    I know what you mean. I had the same when I was learning French. In French in particular, the difference between the hard S (English S) and the soft S (English Z) is very important. But the teacher wouldn't correct the students, and when I tried to correct them the teacher pretended he didn't even know the difference. But I know he does know the difference because he does it right when he speaks.

<I>All the kids in my class (except me), were pronuncing the German "z" like the English "z", and not like "ts".</I>
    Ah! Indeed I keep observing this with English people. Not only can't they pronounce it properly, they don't even seem to be able to <b>hear</b> the difference. When I say "Zack", they ask, "What does Sack mean?"

However, you must admit these pronunciation rules are a little advanced. There is a difference between the way "geld" and "gelt" would be pronounced in English, but not in German, however this is one of the things I wouldn't expect a student to learn in their second year. Same goes for the subtle difference between the English and German L. (I have actually asked an English guy (who I know is good at languages) to try and pronounce the German L properly. It's anything but easy.) I have never made out a difference between our Gs.

<I>I was wondering, how do people from China, Russia, Greece, etc., type in English?</i>
    Well, I was always wondering how they type in Chinese, Russian, Greek, etc.

The answer is simple. For other letter-based alphabets, like Russian and Greek, there are keyboard layouts. I used to know the Russian keyboard by heart. So in order to type English, they just switch to another keyboard layout.

In Chinese and Japanese, however, they use special software that allows them to type the words phonetically (i.e. what they would be transcribed as into English) and the software would convert it into the appropriate character. I have seen such software in action (and actually used it myself) on the university computers. You can buy (or even download, don't know) such add-ons for Windows. Or maybe it's even included on the standard Windows CD.

<I>Greece I'm especially curious about, because their alphabet just has 24 letters.</I>
    Well, I used to be particularly curious about Chinese, because their "alphabet" is huge. For Greek I suppose there's just another keyboard layout for our standard 101-keys keyboards, just like there's an American, British, German, French, Italian, Russian and Bulgarian keyboard layout.

Have you ever wondered how the English keyboard layout was invented? Why are the letters in such a random order? The answer is simple: They started off with an alphabetic arrangement and tested it. Every time they typed some text until they found two keys that were particularly awkwardly placed, and swapped them. They did that hundreds of times until they ended up with this arrangement.

This is also why the only difference between the English and German letter keyboard is that the Y and Z are swapped. In German Y is a lot rarer than in English, while Z is a lot more common.

<i></i>

Hier muss ich ganz energisch sagen:

<b>Bevor sich hier irgend jemand über eine angeblich schlechte Übersetzung irgend welcher Lieder beschwert, soll er/sie es erst einmal besser machen !!!</b>

Die TLK-Lieder sind <b>
    illiant</b> übersetzt; der Übersetzer ist ein absolutes Genie. Ich <b>weiß sehr gut</b>, dass das Übersetzen von Liedern weitaus schwieriger ist, als es aussieht, da ich es selbst schon mehrfach versucht habe (bei Liedern, die noch keine deutsche Version hatten)!

Bei den Dialogen im Film bin ich an vereinzelten Stellen tatsächlich auch der Ansicht, dass man da lieber dies und jenes hätte nehmen sollen... aber auch da sei bedacht: Es gibt kein grundsätzliches besser oder schlechter! Sicherlich lässt sich an vielen Stellen darüber streiten. Aber was mich angeht, gibt es von diesen Stellen sehr wenig, und das weist für mich deutlich genug darauf hin, dass auch hier der Übersetzer sich selbst übertroffen haben muss!

<i></i>

<I>Another problem is that I keep diphthongizing vowels. English has few pure vowels, and I know it's a common problem that English speakers have when they're learning another language.</I>
    Oh, this is so <B>GREAT</B> that you realize that! I'm <b>really glad</b> to hear that. <b>None</b> of the English people I have met ever realized that, except one! They all agreed German vowels sound different, but they just couldn't tell the difference between steady vowels and diphthongs, and they just wouldn't understand they keep diphthongizing the vowels too much. When the beginners' class was taught how to say the alphabet in German, <b>they all claimed "G" sounded like "gay"!!!</b> To me it's nowhere near it!

I'm glad to hear you have recordings of native German language. This probably does help a lot better than just a teacher.

Ask some more questions you've been wondering about for half a year, if you like . I don't have any particular questions, but I'd be more than grateful if you would correct any mistakes I make, especially when I use some adventurous sentence construction that sounds weird or dodgy to you, or use words in an inappropriate combination, etc.

<i></i>

Sorry about assuming not only a wrong gender, but also a wrong age! :p I keep getting mixed up with what English and Americans call "school" and "class". I noticed many Americans say "school" when they mean university, or "class" when they mean lectures...

<i>Anyway, so I'll apply to a company which places kids with host families for the entire year.</i>
    Do you have to? That way the chance of us meeting is tiny. And besides, Bavaria is not the only region I would discourage you from going to ... Anyway, I live in Nordrhein-Westfalen - more precisely, in the town of Essen. I know of two more Lion King fans in Essen.

<I>The thing I'm most scared about is that I won't be able to understand my classes for a while.</I>
    Don't worry about this. I was in the same position when I went to Scotland, after all. Looking at how well you can write German, I believe you're not too bad at listening comprehension either, so chances are you'll get into it after a week or two (like I did).

French does indeed have difficult spelling and grammar rules - but way not as difficult as German! As soon as you know how to use genders and plurals properly, you'll do. No need to think about cases, and there's only two genders too. BTW, I don't trust grammar checks like the one in Word - it can't even do English properly, how can you expect it to correct French or even German? So, the spell checker surely is enough, once I know a particular word is spelt right, I can adapt the ending to match the grammatical context in the sentence. (I was also gonna say: The many unpronounced letters at the end of words don't make it very difficult. They're just grammatical endings. If you know the gender/numerus/person/tense/whatever, there are few ambiguities left.) This comes in very useful when trying to write down the lyrics to a French song. Having a spell checker and knowing grammar very well reduces the problem to correctly guessing individual ambiguous consonants and finding where the end and beginning of a word is. This isn't easy in French at all, especially because in songs they don't care about getting the right syllable stressed. In English and German it would sound weird to stress the wrong syllable, but French people don't seem to mind. This may be because in (spoken) French every word is (consistently) stressed on the last syllable anyway, whereas in German and English this isn't consistent at all.

<i>I can't believe you know so many people from other countries at your university!</i>
    I have probably by now told you about all of them. They really aren't that many: Just one Russian, one Hungarian (who knows Japanese), one Italian, one Greek and one French (actually, Canadian). Plus a few other Germans I know. I have also heard of someone Dutch, but I haven't met them yet. There are also a number of Chinese students around, but I don't know any who'd be patient enough or could be bothered enough to help me with these "silly, childish" lyrics...

<i></i>

Die englische Version gibt's sicherlich auch in Deutschland! Das Cinemaxx
    ingt oft die Originalversionen der großen Filme. Es gab dort auch die englische Version von Titanic, Armageddon, ID4 und Godzilla!

Aber selbst wenn nicht, dann empfehle ich dir, für die englische Version lieber nach England zu kommen, dann kannst du mich bei der Gelegenheit auch in Cambridge besuchen! *g*

<i>The problem is, I would have for the first few months I will have a lot of language problems. What do you suggest?</I>
    I suggest at the beginning of your year in Germany you stay with someone who's good at English, and willing to help you with your German patiently. I would be more than happy to invite you. (Then you can also help me understanding American accents. Sorry, I'm not trying to be funny here, but I'm having troubles understanding Americans, whether or not they speak German or English.) Then I suggest you move on to stay with people who don't speak English as well, or not at all.

What would you do for the year? Would you study at a German university?

<i>Wow, that's a way that I would never expect someone to get the lyrics!</I>
    Why not? It's the easiest and fastest way... and you can always go back to them if you still have questions about it. However this is not how I got the French lyrics (although I probably could have). I <b>did</b> find these on the Internet (knowing only the title of IJCWTBK). They had a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes I had to correct, but nothing I couldn't do. I'm good at French grammar and spelling, and whenever I don't know a word I can ask MS Word's spell checker. (However I do not have a spell checker for Hungarian or Japanese! *g*)

<i>I find it also odd that Disney films aren't released in Russia.</I>
    What makes you think that? They were... well at least TLK was! It just wasn't dubbed, and the songs weren't translated. It was all sub-titled.

But you are still right in thinking Russian people are generally too poor to afford going to a movie theatre. At least this is what a Russian girl at my Uni told me. This is why it just simply wasn't worth dubbing.

You'll probably go totally crazy when you read this, but: I also know a Greek guy at my Uni. Yes, we're a very international mix indeed... so if you can get me the MP3s (which I haven't got), I might be able to pursuade <i>him</i> as well...

<i></i>

<i>and the diphthongs eu, ei/ai. So that's 16. I *know* I'm missing something, but I can't recall which.</i>
    äu, but that's the same as eu -- then there's au, and you missed the vowel <b>e</b> which can even be pronounced in <b>4</b> different ways: <b>e</b>cht, <b>E</b>hr<b>e</b> and <b>E</b>hrfurcht. However I would agree the very former is equivalent to your short <b>ä</b>.

Then don't forget the weird <b>er</b> at the end of words, like <b>Lehrer</b>, plus all the other funny ways vowels are warped by a following <b>r</b>, like <b>ir</b>gend, d<b>ur</b>ch, <b>Or</b>nament, <b>Är</b>ger (though I'd agree this one is equivalent to <b>Ehr</b>furcht above), <b>Ör</b>tchen, m<b>ür</b>be.

That's 26...

<i></i>

Naja... durch ganz Europa reisen würde ich vielleicht nicht, um's in allen Sprachen sehen zu können... aber Französisch würde mich schon reizen. Mal gespannt, wie viel ich davon verstehe. Vielleicht schreibe ich mit Hilfe von einigen französischen Fans dann auch endlich eine französische Version des Scripts (vermisse ich sowieso).

Hello Petit Lion,

I would be more than happy to rent the German Tarzan video once it comes out and write down the German lyrics for you. I planned to do that with Toy Story and some other Disney movies anyway.

We do use "herunter laden" or short "runter laden" quite commonly, however it is even commoner to use "downloaden". As silly as it may sound - we do put the German verb endings after download - ich downloade, du downloadest, wir downloaden, ich habe downgeloadet (gosh! What a mixture of a word. Only now I realize this).

Hi Petit Lion,

<I>The one sound which I sometimes mess up on is the ü sound.</I>
    Funny, those English and Scottish people I used to know (or still know) who were trying to pronounce German had more problems with ö (though of course they also couldn't get the ü right).

OK, here comes my explanation for <I>that</I>:
    In English, very often they use the same word to mean different things. <i>that</i> is one of them.
    You can use it in a causal (not sure if it's called that) clause: I know <b>that</b> I am stupid...
    You can use it in a relative clause: I know the book <b>that</b> is fascinating you.

Notice how in the first one, this word, <i>that</i>, refers to a verb - <i>know</i>.
    In the second one it refers to a noun, <i>the book</i>. If this noun actually denotes a person, you use "who" instead of "that" in English, however that doesn't make a difference in German.

It's the first one where in German you use <i>dass</i>, and in the second one you use <i>der, die, etc.</I>, depending on the gender/case, or alternatively <i>welcher, welche, welches, etc.</i> (As for <i>jener</i>, this is different! See below.)

Ich weiß, <b>dass</b> ich dumm bin.
    Ich kenne das Buch, <b>das</b> dich fasziniert. (or: ..., <b>welches</b> dich fasziniert.)

There is a special kind of clause in English (again, don't know what it's called, I think it's called gerund) that cannot be directly translated into German. It is then often replaced by either a causal (?) or a relative clause.

<i>I know the boy singing in the choir.</i> Make a relative clause: <i>I know the boy <b>who</b> is singing in the coir.</i> -> <i>Ich kenne den Jungen, <b>der</b> in dem Chor singt.</I>

<i>I don't mind the boy singing.</i> Make a causal (?) clause: <i>I don't mind that the boy is singing.</i> -> <i>Ich habe nichts dagegen, <b>dass</b> der Junge singt.</i>

(Notice how translating the previous as "Ich habe nichts gegen den Jungen, <b>der</b> singt" doesn't quite mean the same thing! It would mean "I don't mind the boy who's singing". See the difference?)

Now for <i>jener</i>: This is <i>that</i> as the opposite of <i>this</i>.
    I love this book. -> Ich liebe dieses Buch.
    I love that book. -> Ich liebe jenes Buch.

However, better not use this too often. It is actually a lot less common than <i>that</i> in English. In common language it is in fact replaced by the simple definite article: Ich liebe das Buch.

As for the German "ch" sound... All the English and Scottish people I've heard trying ended up saying "k" -- for either of the two "ch" sounds. I agree that for the sharp one (the one in <i>Dach</i>) "k" is probably the closest English sound you can get - however, it still sounds really stupid. The other one (the one in <i>ich</i>), is nearer to "sh". At least I think so, and after all in one regional German dialect (Rheinisch), they actually pronounce that soft ch more like sh (German sch). If you ever listened to a song by the German pop group "Die Prinzen", you'll notice that. Their "main singer" speaks Rheinisch.

For similarly unidentifiable (to me, at least) reasons German novices trying to speak English tend to replace the "th" sound (which we don't have) by a soft s (like the one in Sonne). Again, I personally think there are sounds which are a lot closer - like the d (in some South American dialects, they actually pronounce it like that, don't they?) or the English v (like in value) or the German w (like in Wort).

Now, without wanting to be patronizing, Petit Lion, but how do you judge your own pronunciation? Do you have native German speakers there to ask, or recordings to compare yourself to? (If you are using cassette tapes in class, make sure what you're hearing really <b>is</b> native German!) I have heard English people who claimed they were teaching German but had a horrible pronunciation, and German people who are teaching English but have a horrible pronunciation. Chances are your teacher isn't any good at it either. Also, seeing how much English people struggle with German pronunciation when they <b>do</b> have a German speaker to compare themselves to (that's me), it strikes me they'd believe their pronunciation to be good unless a native would tell them otherwise.

<i></i>

By the way, I just read one of the older posts in which you say you are a girl. Then I started thinking about this...

Why do people generally assume people are male if they don't know? I feel a bit ashamed I was one of them. But then again, I don't think I could probably think in terms of a "neutral gender" associated with a person - meaning, I totally forget there is a possibility it could be either. It really wouldn't have occurred to me you could possibly be a girl, but now knowing you are makes it, erm... less fascinating. Please don't get me wrong. I want to say that girls are generally more talented at languages; at least that's what I think. So maybe I assumed you were a boy just to get more fascination out of it.

But rest assured, knowing your gender won't change my offer to help you with any problems you may have in German! (To date, you have never explicitly asked me anything, except "Do German schools teach Russian?", "When do you update your site?" etc. :))

<i></i>

<I>I do consider myself a novice...maybe a higher-level novice, but still a novice. Or am I not?</i>
    I would surely say you're advanced enough not to call yourself a novice. At least as far as your writing goes. I don't know about your pronunciation. :)

<I>What do you learn in the first year? [...] Grammer comes in the second year, [...]</i>
    I see. I haven't thought of it like that. I can't really remember how any of the foreign language courses I took in school were structured. I do remember, though, that in Russian and French, most of the time I understood grammatical structures on my own before they were explicitly told. The others in my class took "s'il vous pla&icirc;t" as an expression for "please" for granted, whereas I analyzed what each word could mean. (Admittedly, probably not even French people generally realize how the phrase is made up.) I think the expression is the same as in Dutch, is it? As 't u blievt, or something like that! :)

<i></i>

It's such a shame the TLK songs were never properly translated into Russian! 'Cause I also know a Russian friend at uni who could help me there.

Does anyone of you know whether the soundtrack exists in Zulu (which is Lebo M.'s language)? There are bits in the multi-language versions of Circle of Life and Hakuna Matata, where on the LaserDisc it says "Zulu" on the bottom of the screen. Have they only made those bits, just for the sake of the multi-language versions, or is there actually a Zulu Lion King?

<i></i>